Southernmost Homeless Assistance League – SHAL
August 4, 2020
Key West, FL — The City of Key West has notified the Southernmost Homeless Assistance League (SHAL) that its contract to operate the city’s homeless shelter will end on September 30, 2020. Known as KOTS, the Keys Overnight Temporary Shelter is on property adjacent to the Monroe County Sheriff’s Office facilities on Stock Island. Until earlier this year, KOTS provided overnight shelter to up to 140 homeless adults, but expanded to 24-hour operations in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
The mission of SHAL is to provide shelter, case management and associated services for homeless people in support of their efforts to become self-sufficient.
SHAL is committed to improving the quality of life for all members of our community.
SHAL, the Southernmost Homeless Assistance League, Inc., is a non-profit organization incorporated under the laws of Florida.
SHAL operates emergency adult homeless services programs for the City of Key West:
- SHAL Shelter Services operates KOTS, the Keys Overnight Temporary Shelter, the only low-demand emergency adult shelter in the Keys.
- SHAL Outreach provides individual case management for sheltered and unsheltered homeless persons in Key West and Monroe County.
- SHAL provides community education where staff and board members work with local groups and leaders to better understand homeless issues in our community.
The City of Key West funds the Keys Overnight Temporary Shelter and SHAL Outreach, along with generous support from the following organizations:
- Monroe County Board of County Commissioners: Human Services Advisory Board.
- The Greg and Kim Wasson Family Fund
- Florida Department of Children and Families
- Monroe County Homeless Services Continuum of Care
And generous private donors like you!
SHAL is a member of the Monroe Country Homeless Services Continuum of Care. Their web site is at http://monroehomelesscoc.org
Supreme Court Lets Martin v. Boise Stand: Homeless Persons Cannot Be Punished for Sleeping in Absence of Alternatives
The Homeless – Homed!
Please enjoy this amusing and informative six minute clip from the Daily Show in 2015 in which correspondent Hasan Minhaj reports on the disappearance of homeless people in Utah.